Friday, January 26, 2018

The Dunsel Effect




Sometimes I feel like a dunsel. Dunsel, according to Star Trek, is "a part that serves no useful purpose". I often 'feel' like my roles in life can be replaced by another. Note that I used the word feel. Feelings are not necessarily facts.

I'm not sure why women do this to themselves. If any of us were to spill these thoughts out to a friend, our friend would assure us that we are relevant and no one can replace us. The fact is...we are all replaceable in some areas. It is in a person's heart and memories where we leave a void after we are gone.

One thing that adds to the 'dunsel effect' is becoming an empty nester.  When we become a parent of an 'adult-child' who no longer needs us as they once did, it makes us feel barren. But honestly, isn't that what we are supposed to do? We raise kids into independent adults where they no longer need us to help them every step of they way.

In my jobs as an EMS instructor and EMS provider, I will be replaceable. I am training up strong, young people to take over my jobs. In fact, I tell them someday they may be trying to save MY life. I know how important it is to prepare them and happily do so, but, I often find myself afraid to slow down or show weakness because I don't want to leave my roles...not yet.

Like a pack of animals, it's always survival of the fittest. It's a hard thing, but even among humans, there are people who look for opportunity as soon as you show weakness so they can take your position.

I may be replaceable in some of my roles, but I hope I'm not easily forgotten in people's hearts. Being remembered, feeling like you left the world somehow better, trying to leave a legacy (including people to take your place), isn't that what life is about?

4 comments:

  1. A very thought provoking post. I was having a conversation with my brother only last week about being replaced as he has been made redundant from his job after 27 years.
    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an important person! You will not be forgotten by many of us and I am sure the many people you are in contact with daily. Hold you head high and pat your back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Parsley, I think you have written what I have felt in my head off and on throughout the years. Your last paragraph is truly spot on. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never to be forgotten in people's hearts and heads, what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete